Monday, April 3, 2017

How to Conquer the Fitness Competition: 360 view of the Gym


Fitness is a huge part of every pageant system. While at one time pageant were focused on stick-thin model- esque figures, now they are all (mostly) calling for a fit girl. No longer will stick thin cut it, the judges want to see muscle, strenth and a dedication to overall health. For some this is easy, for others, like myself, this is the most daunting task. Growing up as a dancer, I was always fairly thin and fit. I didnt run, or play conventional sports, I had never lifted a weight or ran on a treadmill, I lived and breathed dance. I was fit and happy, until my world came crashing down. 
A reoccuring dance injury led me to retire my shoes and leotards, no longer was I spending countless hours a week dancing. My body went into shock, within three monthes my muscles had atrofied and I gained 20 pounds. It happened so fast, I didnt know what hit me. At 20 years old, I had never even been inside a gym and I was terrified. All I could imagine were big muscle men in wife beater shirts pumping iron while grunting loudly. I wanted nothing to do with it. Luckily, I wasnt fat- but I wasnt fit either. I didnt gain anymore than the 20 pounds and for me, at 5'9, it wasnt that bad. 
 Yet, I would comb through instagram, enthralled with this new wave of ultra fit women. I am naturally very competative- and I wanted to be one. I was ready to get fit, but I didnt beleive I could do it on my own. I worked for a summer and then hired myself a personal trainer. I was determined to get fit, and fast, and I needed someone to hold my hand. 
Boy was I wrong! While I prepared for Miss Florida 2016, I was met with an obstacle. I was spending countless hours in the gym and eating super healthy- but I wasnt seeing any results. 
I was so frustrated! 
I actually gained weight and looked larger. Yes, I could lift much more than I ever could in the past, but I didnt look the way I wanted. So what does any self-respecting 21st century girl do, I took to the internet! I spent days, weeks even, scouring fitness cites, read article after article, and do you know what I found? I found that I had been training all wrong for my body type, I hadnt even known there were different body types (It seemed my trainer didnt either). I learned what I needed to do and found the confidence to do it on my own. 
 Pictured above is the gym at my apartment complex. What used to be the last place you would ever find me, is now my favorite place to go. While I will always miss dancing at the intensity I used to, I can still get the same addrenaline rush at the gym. I love the hard work and the immediate payoff in my energy and mood. I've learned that fitness is not just a look, it is a mindset. It a devotion to your physical and mental well being, and it takes constant work. 
 My advice to my pageant friends: 
 1. Dont be scared. In the words of Nike, Just Do It. 
 2. Please dont starve yourself, a girls gotta eat!! Put in the hard work, you will look healthy and be so much happier. 
 3. Be patient, but dont always trust "the experts." You know your own body better than anyone else 4. If you still dont think you can do it alone, find a partner! Share your gym time with a friend, I gaurantee you will both benfit and become closer in the process. Friends who sweat together stay together!! 
5. Have fun, dont make it a chore. Play good music, watch netflix, or do your workouts outside. Anything that keeps you motivated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment